The University Centre of the Westfjords is a small higher educational organization, which was established in 2005 and began operations in January 2006. The University Centre building is home to more than 50 people in research, teaching and services in various organizations and companies.
The University Centre is a distance learning centre that serves about 100 distance learning students; it operates a master’s program in Coastal and Marine Management for around 40 students, and also offers a small individualised program of study at the master’s level in Marine Innovation.
Key words: #education #research #university #westfjords #cooperation
The University Centre provides distance learning students with facilities for teleconferencing, group work facilities and reading rooms.
The master's program in Coastal and Marine Management was launched in September 2008 in the presence of the Minister of Education. Students graduate from the University of Akureyri with a Master of Resource Management (MRM) degree. The program is international, interdisciplinary, and taught in modules.
The master’s program in Marine Innovation provides individualised learning in co-operation with the Innovation Centre of Iceland and the University of Akureyri which aims to promote innovation in the Westfjords.
The University Centre is a member of international partnerships, for instance through the University of the Arctic, and has participated in projects of the Nordic Council and the European Union. The University Centre focuses on academic quality and follows the Bologna requirements for European universities in co-operation with its domestic and foreign partner universities.
The University Centre is a young and flexible organization. Employees strive to serve the educational and research needs of the Westfjords to the fullest and to provide students and researchers outside the region, who wish to connect with the small but fascinating research environment in the Westfjords, with an excellent service.
Main research and projects regarding Arctic
- Information regarded University‘s research and projects you can find here.
Main publications and reports
- Sustainability of Coastal Tourism: Alumni Publication in Regions Magazine
- A New Peer-Reviewed Journal on Icelandic Society
- Five Year Report of the University Centre of the Westfjords
- Ten Year Report of the University Centre of the Westfjords
- Coastal and Marine Management (visit also Facebook page)
- Coastal Communities and Regional Development (visit also Facebook page)
- Marine Innovation (visit also Facebook page)
- Open courses (All master’s level courses at the University Centre of the Westfjords are open to participants from other universities and the world of work).
- University Centre of the Westfjords´ website.
The University Centre of the Westfjords in social medias
Job title: Verkefnastjóri / Project Manager